Tuesday, 7 April 2015

WOYWW- Pin looms and sisters.

Hi Everyone,

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter. Mine was busy so hence an ecletic mix of photos and projects this week!

First my desk…


In the foreground is a card I am making for some very good friends of ours who are celebrating their Ruby Wedding Anniversary this weekend (so I'd better get a move on!) On the left is some fab free alphabet stamps from the current issue of 'Simply Homemade' above those is a card I made while playing about with some resist techniques as are the line if funny mushroom stamped images at the back! These are a Lavinia stamp and I was quite pleased with all the different effects you can get..


This one was stamped in white and clear embossed, I then brushed distress ink lightly over the image and built up the colour.


This one was a lot of fun, Stamped using Versamark, then embossed with several WOW embossing powders and heated to set. I then added the red spots using stickles.



This last one was stamped using Versafine black ink and clear embossed. The little mushrooms are from another set of stamps, I forget which at the moment, stamped in Versamark and embossed with gold powder. The background is from the 'Once upon a time' scrapbook paper range. 

On the right of my desk you can see a little pink square made on a pin loom. I had never seen or heard of these until we visited my Aunty Pat last week. We (my Mum and myself) had a lovely afternoon talking crafty things and A. Pat showed us how to use a pin loom.




We loved it and I could get hooked on making squares!  I managed to find a loom from a supplier in Malborough, Wiltshire and bought one for my Mum. My Aunty Pat  makes beautiful blankets like this pink one and sells them for charity.


 After more research I have found lovely books showing you how to make different patterned squares. Apparently this is the next big thing in the crafting world! I reckon if you had a very clever Hubby, he could make you one quite easily. To your looms ladies….!



My Mum (sitting down) and her sister Pat, were both taught traditional home crafts from when they were young.  Baking, sewing, knitting, crochet, embroidery, cross stitch, cake decorating and gardening. They can do it all! These ladies are so talented and I am very proud to be so close to them both. The blankets they are holding and the cushions on the sofa, are all made by Pat. Over the years she has made many glorious cross stitch samplers too. Her garden could belong in any glossy magazine.  My Mum can make you a wedding cake or knit you the warmest of Arran jumpers or the softest, prettiest of baby blankets and makes the best Welsh cakes in the world.  How wonderful to be able to make all these beautiful things.  Aunty Pat is 82 years young and Mum is 77 and they show no signs of slowing down!

The highlight of my Easter was seeing these two together again. Living 150 miles apart they don't see each other often. Truly inspirational.

Have a happy week

Lynda X










14 comments:

  1. what a lovely easter to get together with family and spend time together, surely that is the true point of all the hoildays :)

    i love your mushrooms in every guise they are very cute. good luck with your new craft :)
    Happy wwoyw
    love Mrs C.x
    http://craftroomdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/woyww-april-7th-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very talented family! Lovely that they are both still able to enjoy life and crafting too. The mushrooms look great, I have that set (my only Lavinia one) must use it again soon! Helen 4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I could make that loom myself-nevermind hubby. What are the patterns called, I'd love to try it myself, looks awesome. what clever family you have. When I grow up I want to craft like them LOL
    Bridget #1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I want to come and craft with your mum and Aunty Pat too...aren't they fantastic? And don't you look like your mum!! I've never heard of pin looks before, the results are amazing...you'd never say that pinky planet was the result of that technique. I know for a fact that it's something I'll never do as I've got no patience for all the back and fore of the weaving (just like Zentangles drove me nuts...) but it's a great craft and I hope it does take off!
    Hugs, LLJ 15 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those mushrooms are beautiful. The resist effects are lovely
    Morag 10

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so enjoyed reading about you mum and auntie Pat! Yes, it is a privilege to be close to such talented people. I also learnt crafts at school. After the war that was still the thing to do as the traditional marriage model (woman at home, husband working) still held. I'm so glad I learnt the basics as a child. Although I never had much time during my working life, now I am retired I'm certainly catching up!
    That loom is amazing. I must ask my husband to make me one and I'll look on the internet for things to make. Your auntie's blanket is amazing!
    Love those Lavinia stamps and what you did with them!
    Thank you for stopping by earlier,
    Have a good week,
    Lisca#19

    ReplyDelete
  7. The loom sounds incredible and the pic of the blanket is proof of another amazing craft. Your mum and aunt have obviously passed on a wonderful tradition. How lovely that you are able to share it together. Love all the effects your got with the mushrooms.
    sandra de @32

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the cutest little loom like that, and I use it all the time. A couple, who lives here in the Ozarks, hand makes them and they are gorgeous and so fun to weave with. Next time I visit their booth I'm going to get the heart shaped loom. Happy WOYWW! Sandy Leigh #40

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lynda, you are making me feel very naughty, I have had that gorgeous mushroom stamp for ages and not used it yet must do something with it soon. The cards you've made with it are gorgeous, love the embossing. It's lovely to have family members who are so talented. I fear that many of these skills are not being taught in schools like they were some people don't see that they are of value anymore which is a great shame but we'll do our best to keep them alive LOl! that's for sure. Have a great woyww, Angela x 24

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I would have belt here'd on about how fab the mushrooms are...early like the resist...but I can't now, am needing instead to wish Aunty Pat and your Mum well. How fab that Tthe know all this stuff and practice it all too. Makes me realise that I don't see enough of my sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great uses of the mushroom stamps! Love the variety of uses you did with them. Love the little pin loom. I think I had something similar when I was a child. Hope you have a great week! Happy WOYWW!
    Carol N #44

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Lynda what a beautiful story and the gathering of you all, gosh it makes me want to cry for my mum who passed on many years ago who was also talented. Soak up all you can and enjoy every moment they are unique and look like a lovely family. Don't let the miles come between them. Thanks for sharing.

    Happy WOYWW
    Hugs Eliza & Yoda 5

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for the detailed descriptions of how you accomplished your beautiful pieces. I am just starting to think about heat embossing and ready to take the plunge.

    Happy WOYWW, thanks for sharing
    Pat #54

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the mushroom cards! I have yet to try the resist technique, but I am feeling motivated now! Thank you for sharing!
    Dawn #64

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate them all!