Tuesday, 6 May 2014

WOYWW - Finnabair inspired stuff and a clear out...

Hello and welcome to my desk this week.

A wide shot to show you my 'late night tidying up episode' over Bank holiday. I was suddenly struck by this curious malady on the way to bed the other night. I popped into my craft room to check if something was dry and ended up sorting, tidying, throwing, moving about and clearing stuff for the next hour or so!


Not bad eh? On top of the 2 boxes on the left are my ever growing number of ATCs for the swap. At the back of the desk you can see my finished altered box that we did in club… here it is….


It started out as a spice box and ended up like this…


Top

Front


My first effort using metal embellishments. I painted the box with a mixture of Fresco paints and then used distress inks to tone it down. I then stamped some poppy heads and wild grasses in DI inks.
The handle is mounted on 3 flat buttons stuck together. The brainwave of the lovely Nikki from Scrap club.  Spurred on by this, I then spent a fab crafty afternoon with Alison (Craft cauldron) and we did some Finnabair inspired canvases. Ohhh messy and fun!

Painted and stencilled

 Arranging embellishments

 Smile!

I actually quite liked it like this!!


Then covered them with 3 layers of silk paints.

The nearly finished canvases at the end of our playdate!

I want to add the word 'EXPLORE' to mine and maybe my photo to remind me to do just that. Try, explore and enjoy new things. As Alison so rightly pointed out to me during the afternoon, If she had told me a year ago that I would be getting all inky, painty (?)  altering boxes and on my second art journal, I would have laughed out loud and said "I don't do all that stuff, I only like to scrapbook!" Ha! Don't believe a word I say in future will you! (It helps if you have a lovely friend who tells ..yes.. tells… you what new stuff you are going to do next!)  You know who you are!

So, why don't you try something new this week? Do share if you do!

Happy birthday to to any Taureans out there who share their birthday with me this week… One year older and none the wiser!  (Me of course not you!) LOL   Enjoy!  
I'm off to enjoy a snoop around other desks now..

Hugs
Lynda X










13 comments:

  1. Oh dear - "Tells You" sounds like me being bossy again ! Do "Tell Me" when I am won't you !!
    I just love having you to play with ! So much better with a friend than lone crafting !
    The canvases are looking great - are we allowed to say that about our own art !?!
    And your box is really lovely ! Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely tidy craft room now. What fab projects you & your friend have been working om . Happy woyww Jill #13

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely canvases and a great pic of Ali :-) I was also struck by that spice box before you altered it - that looks interesting, what was in it?
    And I'm so glad it's not just me who pops into the craft room 'just for a minute' and ends up for 2 hours instead!!!
    Hugs, LLJ 2 xx
    PS Only two.5 weeks to Crop, woohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab tidy desk!! The altered box is fantastic, I love Finn's style. hope you have a great birthday later this week. Helen 13

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your spice box looks wonderful and your canvas what a great idea to use metal embellishments on it love the colours you picked for them hugs Nikki 12

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most impressive and I just LOVE your upcycled box - wow, gorgeous!!
    Happy WOYWW :)
    no. 7

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynda
    Happy WOYWW. The altered spice box looks amazing and I love the canvas works too...I'm a metal mad one too...I have way too many
    hugs
    Annette In Oz #39

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Lynda, that box is sooo lovely! I'm very impressed with your mega tidy desk, too, as well as the pile of finished atcs. I'm like you, in that I go in my craft room to pick something up, and come out hours later, having got completely distracted by something else! Have a great week, Chris # 47 xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lynda! I do like a bit of late night tidying up myself!! Love your box and I had to smile - when I did a finnabair inspired thingy I also quite like it before I had painted over it!! Look forawrda to seeing you at the crop and hopefully swapping one of those ATCs! Thanks for your earlier visit, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your box and all the beautiful embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Lynda. Amazing finished results on the canvases. That box is pretty special too.
    Have a great week.
    Margaret #28

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Lynda, that box is amazing, so beautiful. Aren't you clever.
    Have a lovely week, bless you
    Chris #32

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I am so late visiting not sure where the week had gone so having a quick fly round the desks before we start again, thanks for sharing - Nicky 11

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate them all!