Tuesday, 1 April 2014

WOYWW - A bit of a photo fest!

Hi Everyone

This week you find me feeling very sorry for myself after a trip to the Dentist this afternoon for a tooth out! I am all numbed up and am waiting for my cup of tea to go cold (no hot drinks) before I can attempt to slurp it through a straw without dribbling too much. You get the picture… Well… here is my desk this week, I am in the middle of doing a 8x8 scrapbook for a friend, about a hen night she went on and it's got to be finished by next week in time for the wedding! Why oh why can't I say NO!!


here are a few piccies of it so far….



The colour palette is just four colours which she chose, I hope she likes it!

Here are 2 Mother's Day cards I made quickly too…



At the weekend we went up to Manchester with Ali H and Hubby. The men went to watch Man Utd and Ali and I had a fab day at Quarrybank Cotton Mill and gardens at Styal.  (National Trust) One of the most interesting places I have ever been. 



We saw and exhibition of beautiful period dresses, expertly re-made from looking at old photographs of the Greg family who owned the mill.


 

How clever is that?


We were transported back to the early 1800's when the cotton mill was first opened and learnt all about the process of growing the cotton abroad and then the various stages in the mill. The sound of just one machine going in a room was loud, a whole room full of machines turned on must have been deafening and children as young as 9 would have to work up to 14 hour days in there. (Children could be Indentured to the Mill Owner until they were 18 if their parent's couldn't look after them) They were locked in at night to prevent escape and fed meagre portions of porridge, bread and vegetables.

I will leave you with a mill worker's working day and if ever you feel tired and stressed at the end of your 8 hours… spare a thought for these poor little mites.


Well worth a visit!!


Well… I am going to slurp and dribble my way through my cup of tea now… have a happy week

Lynda X














5 comments:

  1. Oh, poor you..hope it all goes smoothly....
    Well done on doing that scrapbook - it looks fab - but practise saying after me ...No....Sorry, too busy at the moment....I'm getting quite good at it now.Finally got there at the ripe old age of 52!!
    And that looked so interesting at t'mill..but yes, horrifying conditions for those children....
    Hugs, LLJ 8 xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully you are all un-numbed by now. I hate that dribbly, wonky feeling AND not being able to eat!

    We have a textile museum in Lowell that shows the same kinds of working conditions. I guess many of the folks were thankful to just have jobs, but so many lives were endangered by the conditions it's shameful. (Not that it's improved much everywhere in the world.)

    Your little mouse card is utterly darling, btw!

    Happy Woyww,

    Sandy #32

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're feeling a lot better now. So love your cards - really pretty. Good luck on finishing the scrapbook in time!
    Interesting to see the working day - and I complain if I'm still at work at 4:35!!!
    Happy WOYWW
    Caz #12

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor you, hope you are getting back to normal by now! Great projects on your desk, I'm sure you will finish the SB in time. I love the look of that period costume - but the work schedule isn't quite so appealing! Happy WOYWW Cindy #72

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynda, hope the tooth/mouth is all good my now. The tour through the old mill would've been fabulous and yes and eye opener to the hard life they led, we certainly can't complain. Lovely scrapbook and MD cards. Cheers and have a great week RobynO#40

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate them all!