Tuesday, 22 October 2013

WOYWW- Gelli plates and Christmas cards!

Hello and welcome to this weeks desk hop hosted by Julia. Click on the WOYWW button on the right to play along!
Well... Autumn is well and truly here with copious amounts of rain and gales which has turned the garden at Chez Beazley in to a water feature that Monty Don would be proud of!  Good moment to tuck myself away and make some Christmas cards!
My desk this week....
 
 
Firstly I bought some white laser cut toppers from Hobby Craft and when I got home, I panicked a bit as I didn't quite know what I was going to do with them. Still... these are the end result...
 
 
I like  them so much I'm going back to get the snowflake ones! I tried to colour one in and made such a mess that I had to cut bits off but still managed to save enough of the die to make a card! Spot the difference!
 
 
On Saturday I spent a lovely afternoon with my BCB (bestest craft buddy!) playing with her Gelli plate. Wow... what some fantastic stuff you can do with it. It was a bit of trial and error at first until we understood several key things -
 
1)   The amount paint to use.
2)   Some paints are better than others (Fresco paints are good)
3)   How quick to work (you have to have everything ready or the paint dries too quickly)
4)   How much pressure to use on the card with your hand
5)   Where exactly to apply said pressure as you can get totally different looks by varying where you press and degree of firmness applied.
6)   We used stencils (after watching Barbara Grey) and some stencils are much more successful than others depending on the pattern.
7)   How to use more than one colour without making mud.
8)   Have loads of baby wipes and kitchen towel ready because IT'S A MESSY PROCESS!
9)   Experiment and have fun.
10) Stopping for a large cream cake helps the creative muse!
 
 
 
 
Here are just a few of the many that we did. You can see some others on the desk. I am looking forward to using them in my journals. Half term next week and hopefully some time to play in my craft room. I have a long list of things to complete and do.
 
Well... that's all from me this week. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have all been up too.
 
Have a happy week
 
Lynda X
 
 
 
 
 
 

13 comments:

  1. Brilliant you have captured all our learnings for posterity !
    But now they all know about the illicit cake eating too !
    Great cards - those die cuts look really good !
    See you tomorrow ! Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cards and indeed the backgrounds. Happy WOYWW Helen 20

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of rain here too...driving through Savernake Forest en route to band practise was "interesting". At one point, it was like fording the Amazon....just as well I drive a battered old 4x4!!
    Love your Christmas cards, very elegant and it's great to hear about your Gelli exploits...glad you're keeping up the Crafting Cream Cake tradition...it's gotta be done :-)
    Hugs, LLJ 7 xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's chucking it down here too but thankfully the garden is still looking good for the moment.
    Love your Christmas cards, they look very classy and had to smile at your gelliplate playing, many of the desks I've visited today have gelliplate playing on them! I need to join this craze!
    Hugs Lisax #56

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, you two sure had fun..and I''m admiring of the results...specially the way you fed your muse! Really fab way to use those die cuts...I looked at them myself and put them back because I knew not...so hurrah and good for you for being brave..totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cold weather definitely calls for card making. We love your Gelli prints. We sold our plate as we weren't getting much use out of it. Thanks for visiting the bears already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Christmas cards! Those are great laser cuts! And your Gelli prints are fascinating! Happy WOYWW!
    Carol N #86

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your Christmas cards Lynda! Love your summary of what you learned using gelli. This has been the week of gelli! I have seen so many posts using it!

    Hugs! Robin 23

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super Christmas cards and you'd never guess you'd chopped a bit off one either! I'm not a colourer in person so appreciate the white diecuts which I think look great witht he coloured background. Hope you get the snowflakes. Thanks for the visit this week BJ#26

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think stopping for cake should be on the manufacturers instructions! Lovely laser cut dies, you've done a great job with them, the cards are fab. hugs. Pam#38

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Christmas cards you made with those laser cut toppers have a very classic and elegant look. I love your gelli prints too, and can't wait to get one of my own. Happy WOYWW and blessings! #27

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Christmas cards, and those Gelli prints look fabulous! Thanks for all the pointers... I really must get mine out and experiment a bit more with it. (For all the use it's had so far, I'm very glad it came as a part of a DT package!) I love the results I see all over Craftyblogland - and these are way up there!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  13. love my gelli plate yours look great especially if its your first time
    janet

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate them all!